The sweetness of the squash and cinnamon beautifully complement the caramelised onions for the ultimate comfort food! Earthy kale balances the soft squash for a cinnamon-spiced squash stew- all prepared in under an hour.
Serves 1-2/ Total time: 35-40 min
2 medium yellow onions, sliced thinly
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 long red pepper, chopped
Handful cherry tomatoes, chopped
2 c vegetable stock
1 acorn squash, de-seeded and chopped
1 Tb ground paprika
1/2 Tb ground cinnamon
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Steamed kale, to serve
Use a bamboo steamer to gently steam kale for 5-8 min, till just tender. Otherwise, you can also simply stir it into the stew and allow the heat to gently steam the kale on your plate or in the pot!
Don’t remove the seeds from the pepper if you like a little extra heat!
Cinnamon possesses the ability to lower the release of arachidonic acid from cell membranes, offering anti-inflammtory properties.
1. Heat some water in a pot, add the onions and garlic. Sauté till caramelised, around 7min.
2. Add the pepper tomatoes, sautéing for a further 8min till softened.
3. Add the stock, squash and spices and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for around 20min till the squash is tender, adding more stock if needed.
4. Add the chickpeas and cook till heated through.
5. Take off the stove and leave for a few minutes before serving with gently steamed kale! Enjoy.