Serves: 4-6 / Total Time: ~45min
1 large onion, roughly chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp ground paprika
400g frozen peas
~1 litre low-sodium vegetable stock
1 big handful fresh dill
1. Sauté onion and garlic in a little of the stock, till lightly browned, around 10 minutes.
2. Add the carrots and paprika, and more stock if needed. Cook for a further 10 minutes till carrots are tender.
3. Add the rest of the stock and the peas, cooking for a final 3-4 minutes.
4. Put everything into a blender, including the dill, and process till smooth.
Peas contain a variety of phytochemicals including polyphenolics, shown to display antioxidant and anticarcinogenic activities, saponins, which exhibit hypocho- lesterolaemic and anti-carcinogenic activity, and galactose oligosaccharides which can exert beneficial prebiotic effects in the large intestine. 1
1. Wendy J. Dahl, Lauren M. Foster and Robert T. Tyler. Review of the health benefits of peas (Pisum sativum L.) British Journal of Nutrition (2012), 108, S3–S10